Great Book

Suggestions, corrections or comments about astronomy / astrophotography books written by Allan Hall
Player152

Great Book

Post by Player152 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:42 pm

I just finished my first reading of Getting Started:Long Exposure Photography. Finally, a book that makes some sense of the maze that is astrophotography. Thank you Allen! I suspect there will be 2 or 3 more readings before I really get it but this book is pointing me in the right direction.

The up side is that I now have a clear direction to move ahead, the down side is that I now have a very long shopping list of software and equipment that I need to get where I want to be. In spite of the long list, I at least have a good idea of what is required. I am a professional photographer and have been conducting photography workshops for about 10 years so I assumed that getting into astrophotography would be pretty smooth. Bad assumption! The tools, software, and techniques are very different from the routines that I use.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in getting into astrophotography. It is a practical and down to earth overview of the tools and techniques required to be successful in getting started. I think the idea behind this book is to help a beginner get started and if that is the goal the book is a great success. I am not overwhelmed by the information in the book but have a long list of new ideas to try, a clear set of steps to take to get to the next level, and a good reference to go to when I run into a problem. It is still a long road ahead to learn all the new software, the telescope, mount, and guider routines, the camera techniques, and the post processing routines but before reading this book I was at a standstill, unsure of what to do next.

Now...all I need are some clear skies instead of all this rain!!

AllanHall
Site Admin

Re: Great Book

Post by AllanHall » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks! I am very glad you enjoyed it. I hope you don't mind if I quote you :-)

Allan

PS. If you haven't already, and you wouldn't mind, please leave a review on Amazon. They really help me out.

Player152

Post by Player152 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Sure, you can quote me. I will also post comments to Amazon for you...hope you are really successful with your book. I also have several photography students who are interested in Astrophotography so I will recommend your book to them and to members of the Asheville Astronomy Club.

I saw somewhere in your book mention that you live in Texas. I am looking for a good dark sky location to visit this fall. Way too much rain and overcast in Asheville, NC and I am having trouble getting enough decent viewing time to learn the sky and how to take photos of it. West Vir has some dark skies but probably about as much rain as we have. I am looking at Ft. Davis, TX as a possibility for sometime around Thanksgiving. Any suggestions or recommendations for dark sky sites in West Tx.?

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:00 pm

I haven't had the chance to do something like this but I have heard a few people comment on the Starry Night Inn,

http://starrynight.homestead.com/

They say that although not as dark as Ft Davis, it is very very dark. I have always wanted to try Ft Davis myself so I certainly understand. It is supposed to be spectacular.

Interestingly enough my wife and I spent a couple days in Cherokee and we took 441 up towards Gatlinburg. There was a nice little parking area with a view through the mountains towards the east where we took some sunrise pictures, that place was pretty dark with all the mountains shielding everything. If I had had my scope with me I probably would have set up for some visual.

Good luck, let me know what you find as I too may be interested. Thanks for the review on Amazon, those really help me out.

Allan

Player152

Post by Player152 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:54 pm

There are some good dark sky areas here, especially on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but the problem is rain and overcast. We are 16 inches above normal so far this year and I cannot buy a clear night.

Thanks for the recommendation on Starry Nights Inn. I have planned 3 nights at Starry Nights, 6 nights at Ft. Davis SP and 2 nights in Carlsbad around the new moon, late October and early November. I will let you know if Starry Nights is a good place to go to photograph.

I have started my 2nd reading of your book. I will try not to bug you too much with questions.

Robert

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:01 pm

I will look forward to hearing about your trip!

Don't worry, I do not mind questions at all.

Allan