Which Atlas to buy

Suggestions, corrections or comments about astronomy / astrophotography books written by Allan Hall
linux

Which Atlas to buy

Post by linux » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:35 pm

Allan,

After getting into the hobby a year ago, I bought an 8" dob to get started. I've been thinking about a refractor and possibly AP at some point. When I saw that ES was discounting their telescopes by 20% for NEAF, I jumped on the ES127CF. Of course, I need a mount.

By coincidence, I had a small credit for Amazon and saw your e-book, which is excellent BTW. So I decided to get something that I should be able to grow into and am ready to buy one of the Orion Atlas mounts. You have both listed in your Black-gray-white chart, but seem to imply that the pro would be a tad better, I guess because it's rated at 44 pounds vs 40 for the non-pro, but you make the comment that it's still new and could have some bugs.

I do like the dual encoders feature as well as the alt/az option, but wonder if you have any direct experience with it.

Thanks.

Vic Hardy

AllanHall
Site Admin

Re: Which Atlas to buy

Post by AllanHall » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:59 pm

I have not yet acquired one of the pro mounts although it is indeed on my short list. I have heard a lot of good and no bad so far. The features are hard to beat for the price. Once I do get one I will be sure to post a review on my blog.

If you get one I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it as well.

Allan

linux

Re: Which Atlas to buy

Post by linux » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:32 pm

I will report on it for sure, however it's not due to ship until late June :(