Prime Focus vs Eyepiece Projection

Suggestions, corrections or comments about astronomy / astrophotography books written by Allan Hall
jeffster

Prime Focus vs Eyepiece Projection

Post by jeffster » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:26 pm

Hello Allan - I recently purchased two of your books (Long Exposure....& Messier) and with the Messier Reference, I don't see mention of whether any e/p projection was used. Are all of the recommended exposures for prime focus photography only?
I'm using an ES 80mm triplet refractor for wide field and a Celestron C8 for closeups on a Celestron AVX mount/tripod, with a Canon 60Da DSLR. I picked up the Varimax adapters so I can connect the DSLR with either OTA @ prime focus and also to do e/p projection.
I'd like to make some of the targets larger, thus the e/p projection desire. I developed a formula in Excel that provides the f/l and f/r for each eyepiece/OTA configuration.
I have no desire to produce 'masterpieces', just to get some decent pics. Thus, I have no desire to spend hours at a laptop "processing". Does your Nikon have the 'movie crop' mode that yields the 1:1 pixel resolution? Do you know if shooting that way and then using Registax would produce decent pics?

Thanks-
Jeff Wilner

AllanHall
Site Admin

Re: Prime Focus vs Eyepiece Projection

Post by AllanHall » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:55 pm

Jeff,

Thanks for the purchases!

All the images in the book are prime focus, should have mentioned that, thanks for pointing this out. Eyepiece projection with good quality eyepieces should be close to the same exposures, possibly a little longer. That is assuming approximately a 25mm eyepiece or so. Smaller EPs (a 10mm for example) would require longer exposures while a larger EP would allow for shorter exposures.

My Nikon does not have a crop movie mode. If you shot in movie mode and then stacked in Registax that would be fine for the moon, solar and planetary but not so much for deep space objects as you just could not get enough exposure time.

The fastest and easiest way to get descent pics from AP is to use Pixinsight. I know, I didn't want to pay for it either. Download the demo and try it. I fell in love. It made everything so much faster and easier. Not only that but the quality was a huge improvement.

Allan

jeffster

Post by jeffster » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:55 pm

Thanks for your time & input Allan - much appreciated!

jeff

jeffster

Post by jeffster » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:26 pm

Wow Allan - I just tried the Pixinsight website and don't see any page/link to purchase it? Why do these companies make it so hard to find? I've already found tons of tutorials and you tube videos, but their own website makes it difficult!

Maybe not,
jeff

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:44 pm

https://pixinsight.com/buy/license.html

This will get you started in the purchase process. Or you can request a trial license here:

https://pixinsight.com/trial/index.html

Good luck!

Allan

jeffster

Post by jeffster » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:20 pm

Thanks Allan - so $258 US to purchase. Some of the other software is much more, so this is reasonable! TY for the referral!
jeff