Where did you get that adapter on page 173??

Suggestions, corrections or comments about astronomy / astrophotography books written by Allan Hall
beckemd

Where did you get that adapter on page 173??

Post by beckemd » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:23 pm

I just got my 2 inch filter wheel from orion and my narrow band filters. I use a stellarvue 90mm short refracter so I also use a field flattener with it. The set up is Camera-tring-spacer-FF....and this is where I'm stumped....
The orion filter wheel comes with a 2 inch to tring adapter on the camera side. WHat I need is a 2 inch male on one side and a 2 Inch Male on the other...instead of the 2 inch to tring adapter that it came with...
I suspect your aluminum custom made adapter is just that? Where do you have it made?

Ty

Dave in Chicago

AllanHall
Site Admin

Re: Where did you get that adapter on page 173??

Post by AllanHall » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:11 am

You are correct, that silver ring is indeed a custom adapter. I found a local machine shop and took him the parts I needed to join together. He had no problem fabricating one out of a solid block of aluminum. If you do this, be sure to tell them you need the inside as wide open as possible. The smaller the inside diameter the bigger problem you may have with vignetting.

Allan

beckemd

Post by beckemd » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:06 pm

WHen did you have this done roughly? any chance you'd let me contact the company for a similar item? Lastly, what is a fair price on a custom machined item? I have no idea really.

TY

Dave in CHicago

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:58 pm

It has been over a year ago. You absolutely may contact them, I used:

Pat Knight
ELM Machine Inc.
PO Box 219
Oakhurst, Tx 77359
elmmach@eastex.net
936-377-5001

Allan