Equipment Recommendations

Suggestions, corrections or comments about astronomy / astrophotography books written by Allan Hall
karl.w.lewis

Equipment Recommendations

Post by karl.w.lewis » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:06 pm

(I realize that this is a loaded question... feel free to dodge it.)

Hi Allan,

In LEAP you have a set of general recommendations, based on a variety of price-points, for various scopes, mounts and in some cases autoguiders...

You suggest, for the two not-quite-most-expensive options, a Meade 130 APO Triplet scope. Can you say more about that scope? I have been searching, but haven't found anything I consider an authoritative review.

The Atlas Pro mount doesn't seem to be available any longer. Could you comment on the Celestron CGEM-DX mount? Do you know anyone who's had good, bad, (or other), experiences with them?

Thanks,

Karl

AllanHall
Site Admin

Re: Equipment Recommendations

Post by AllanHall » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:12 am

I have no direct experience with the Meade 130, however everything I have heard so far has been positive for a scope at it's price point. Williams Optics also makes excellent APOs in that size and price range. Orion now has a 130mm ED APO as well and from what I am hearing it is an excellent scope. One of the people who shoots where I do just got one of the Orion 130s so I hope to get a little hands on time with it soon.

The Atlas Pro looks available to me at http://www.telescope.com/Mounts-Tripods ... 102340.uts or http://www.amazon.com/Orion-10010-Atlas ... B00A7N4OOS. It is still my top choice for a mount in it's price/weight range especially considering the encoders.

I have heard from many people who have had excellent experiences with the CGEM-DX but since they will not do what I want my mounts to do I tend to stay away from them. I tie everything together with EQMOD/EQASCOM and as of the last time I checked it does not work with Celestron mounts which makes any Celestron mount a non-starter for me.

If you do not use or plan to use EQMOD, then that would be an excellent choice for a mount. But then again, so would an iOptron iEQ30 or iEQ45.

Hope this helps.

Allan

karl.w.lewis

Re: Equipment Recommendations

Post by karl.w.lewis » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:40 am

Yes, thank you, Mr. Hall. That certainly helps.

Orion's site didn't come up anywhere near the top in a goolge search for the mount. (Maybe the internets are broken, or, perhaps the problem exists somewhere between my chair and the keyboard.) :roll:

I appreciate the information.

Be well,

Karl