Current status of the book Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography

Suggestions, corrections or comments about astronomy / astrophotography books written by Allan Hall
AllanHall
Site Admin

Current status of the book Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography

Post by AllanHall » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:48 pm

I hope to update the status here until it actually hits the shelves, keep an eye out!

Current status: Second round review
Expected completion date: March 01, 2013
Expected availability: March 15, 2013

Current page count (includes unnumbered pages): 332
Current word count: 61,873
Expected price: $16.99 US

BigD7481

Re: Current status of the book Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography

Post by BigD7481 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Allan,

I just wanted to post saying how happy I am you are turning your guides into a book. I have been following your guides for nearly a year now (up until they disappeared, which by the way caused me a short period of panic :lol: ) and they have influenced everything from the purchases I've made to the quality of my images. The information you have given to myself and others who have just started their journey through the world of astrophotography has been invaluable. I will be one of the first inline to purchase this treasure trove of knowledge when it's available.

Clear skies,
Dave

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:29 pm

Hey Dave!

I am glad my guides helped you along. The book is far more than the guides ever were, I think you will really like it.

Allan

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:32 am

OK, so this process takes a little longer than I expected! Here is the latest update:

Current status: Final round review
Expected completion date: March 31, 2013
Expected availability: April 2, 2013

Current page count (includes unnumbered pages): 345
Current word count: 64,394

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:10 pm

Still running behind schedule, but making progress...

Current status: Publisher review
Expected completion date: April 18, 2013
Expected availability: April 25, 2013

Current page count (includes unnumbered pages): 345
Current word count: 64,654

To explain a little more, the publisher has to review it prior to printing. This usually takes 24 hours from submission which has been done. Once that is complete, I will receive a printed proof and make sure everything is OK. Then, finally, they can flip the switch and make the book available for sale.

The amount of work needed to get a book to press even after everything is written is simply mind blowing. I have not written a new sentence in this book for months, yet the work continues. How people do this for a living escapes me.

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:29 pm

Everything has been digitally approved, the printed proof is on its way and should be here by Tuesday the 23rd. After all the people that have looked over the manuscript, they say it is still normal for authors to go through more than one printed proof. This of course means I would have to push the release date back yet again. I hope not!

Either way I will try to post up some pictures so you can see what a printed copy of the book actually looks like.

Wish me luck!

Allan

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:53 pm

OK, so they were right, it will take at least one more proof before I can send it to the printer so to speak. We found several problems very quickly that were not that easy to spot in the digital version that just leap right off at you in the printed version.

Lest you think we are not making any progress, here is the first printed proof:

The good news is that the images we were the most worried about are actually pretty dang good looking! The cover and back are beautiful.

So now I hope to have the problems we find in this proof finished in the next few days, then it is off to the approval process again (24 hours), then a few more days until the next proof arrives, and then finally the last approval (we hope) before becoming available for purchase.

Just a little more patience and we should have a quality product ready for you.

Allan

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:45 pm

The end is near, and that is why the updates are coming fast and furious. The first printed proof has been gone through, corrections have been made, the online proof of those corrections has been approved and the second printed proof is on it's way and should be here Wednesday. If everything goes as hoped, and I didn't mess anything up this time, heh, it should have final approval next Thursday and possibly be online for sale at Amazon by next weekend (May 4th).

Those of you reading this and plan on purchasing the book, I urge you to come back and tell me what you think of the book, good or bad. Either way I would appreciate you telling me why you do or do not like it, and if you happen to find a mistake, please let me know so I can correct it. Yes, I am making money off the sales of the book, but if every astrophotographer I ever heard of bought two copies, I might have enough money for my wife and I to take a weekend trip somewhere in the car, so I am not getting rich with this. It is more about helping the community, and I can't do that alone.

More to come as I know specifics...

Allan

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Wed May 01, 2013 9:07 pm

It's here! Finally, after a long way and more work than I ever imagined, the book is live. It will take 5-7 days for it to show up on Amazon.com and all the European Amazon sites. You can however purchase it before then by using the following link:

https://www.createspace.com/4249295

Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Allan