Current status of the book Getting Started: Budget Astrophotography

Suggestions, corrections or comments about astronomy / astrophotography books written by Allan Hall
AllanHall
Site Admin

Current status of the book Getting Started: Budget Astrophotography

Post by AllanHall » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:50 pm

I hope to update the status here until it actually hits the shelves, keep an eye out!

Current status: Initial writing
Expected completion date: November 01, 2013
Expected availabilty: November 15, 2013

Current page count (includes unnumbered pages): 14
Current word count: 1,298
Expected price: $16.99 US

Format: 7.5"x9.25" aiming for about 300 pages, color cover, B&W interior

AllanHall
Site Admin

Re: Current status of the book Getting Started: Budget Astrophotography

Post by AllanHall » Wed May 08, 2013 8:40 pm

For those of you who have expressed an interest in this book I felt that I should tell you a little about my ideas behind this, where it is headed, and how it is different from my first book, Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography (which I abbreviate as LEAP). It has been about three months since I posted anything about this book but now that LEAP is complete and has been sent to press, it is time to start working on this one.

Lets start with how this book and LEAP will be the same. Content such as the glossary, where to go from here, the stacking section, etc will be virtually identical. Why not? These two books are aimed at two very different types of astrophotographers and both types benefit from these sections. You will also find a lot of the same information and pictures in sections dealing with field rotation, mount types, light pollution, etc.

Where they differ is in the rest of the book. LEAP is designed for beginners who want to be fairly serious and have at least some reasonable amount of money to throw into the hobby. Getting Started: Budget Astrophotography (BAP for short) is completely different and will have no setup used consisting of equipment that totals more than $1000 (excluding a computer). The vast majority of content will be based around making things work which you may already have, for example, attaching your cell phone to your scope, a point and shoot camera, etc. It will cover using your camera without a telescope or mount, but in sections where I do use a telescope the primary one I will use was roughly $250 new for the scope and mount, delivered.

This is turning out to be an interesting challenge and I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as I do. If you have any suggestions for the book, or burning questions you would like the book to address, post a message!

Expected completion date: November 01, 2013
Expected availabilty: November 15, 2013

Current page count (includes unnumbered pages): 47
Current word count: 9,233

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:42 pm

It is well passed time for an update and as usual it is a good news, bad news type announcement.

The bad news is that the weather has not cooperated at all, for months on end. Virtually none of the imaging projects for this book are complete. Heck, most haven't even been started! This unfortunately will probably push the book's release well into next year. Sorry.

The good news is that what I have is really exciting. Several do it yourself projects are complete and included, tons of new ideas, much more streamlined writing. I really think people will enjoy this book. If all goes as planned this book will be every bit as large as my previous book, Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography. Those books you see popping up on large book sites of 50, 100, or even 200 pages, this will not be one of those.

Expected completion date: 1Q 2014
Expected availabilty: 1Q 2014

Current page count (includes unnumbered pages): 108
Current word count: 18,004

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:54 pm

Had a good week for the book. I managed to get several sections I was working on last week into the book and a several more new pages. I currently have 12 DIY projects scheduled for inclusion (many of which I already completed for myself a while back so it is just a matter of getting construction pictures, parts lists and build instructions).

Expected availabilty: 1Q 2014

Current page count (includes unnumbered pages): 148
Current word count: 27,534

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:58 pm

The last few weeks have been rather slow, mainly completing DIY projects which required some testing, several trips for supplies, etc. One of the big strengths in my opinion of Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography is the structure of the book, how the sections build upon one another and kind of flow. This book was severely lacking in that respect so I spent quite a bit of time reorganizing things until I got a structure that I was pleased with.

Expected availability: 1Q 2014

Current page count (includes unnumbered pages): 173
Current word count: 30,058

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Another week, and some more great progress! Several more DIY projects completed, even one that required the assistance of my wife. Some may have been concerned that pushing out my Messier Astrophotography Reference in front of this one might have slowed this one down but in reality it gave it a shot in the arm.

I am really hoping that in another month or so I will be done with the initial writing and can start the editing process. This could put the completion date somewhere in February if everything goes well. Of course part of this depends on mother nature so keep your fingers crossed for me.

Current page count (includes unnumbered pages): 245
Current word count: 36,298

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Another good week for the book, moving along nicely. Even with the finalization and publishing of my other book, Messier Astrophotography Reference available here:

http://www.amazon.com/Messier-Astrophot ... hotography

and here:

https://www.createspace.com/4525548

progress has been very good. I hope to start the initial proofing process in the next few weeks and that process will take a month or two depending on how bad I did :-) This puts me right on target for the 1Q2014 release.

Current page count (includes unnumbered pages): 279
Current word count: 42,686

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:22 pm

I worked through most of the Thanksgiving holiday, ordered the last parts I needed for things in the book, completed the last of the large projects and have the first person running through corrections. I realistically expect at least fifteen more pages to be added for the expanded index, a couple of small additions and corrections (things I did not explain well tend to take more pages to explain).

I plan on sending out email to my prospective proofers probably next week, or the weekend after next depending on how things go. This book could very well shape into the largest book I have done, in amount of work and number of pages. Stay tuned!

Current status: Initial proofing

Current page count (includes unnumbered pages): 325
Current word count: 49,828

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:04 pm

Been almost a month but I am still on course. The book has been sent to my small army of proofers for general proofing. Once I get it back from them (about three to four weeks) it will go one more quick round in house, and then to the publisher for a physical proof.

Current status: Crowd proofing, second phase

Current page count (includes unnumbered pages): 344
Current word count: 53,481

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:47 am

Proofing is taking a little longer than expected but we are very very close to release. There seems to be a lot of interest in this book so I am trying really hard to make it something you will all enjoy.

Current status: Final proofing
Expected completion date: Late March 2014
Expected availability: Late March 2014

Current page count (includes unnumbered pages): 344
Current word count: 53,481