Astrophotography Equipment

Discussions on astrophotography topics including equipment, setup, capturing, and processing. From beginner to advanced, everyone is welcome.
DCEyer

Astrophotography Equipment

Post by DCEyer » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:32 pm

Allan, I am enjoying your book. I have just started it. I wish I would have had the book prior to purchasing a lot of equipment. I am new to both astronomy and astrophotography. I thought I would do 75% visual and 25% AP. Now I am thinking it will be more 50-50. Could you give me your opinion on the equipment I have so far. I have an Orion Atlas EQ-G mount and a Celestron EdgeHD 8" SCT. I have numerous accessories such as dew shield and controller. I bought a used Canon 50D specifically for AP. I thought I would send it away to get it modified. I also have a Nikon D90 with several lens. I bought a piggyback mount for the cameras and I have the T-adapter and T-ring for the Canon. Finally, I upgraded the 1.25 diagonal to a 2". Except for 3 eyepieces and three other books that is about it. Any feedback will be appreciated. In the meantime I will continue to read your book. Dayne

AllanHall
Site Admin

Re: Astrophotography Equipment

Post by AllanHall » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:01 pm

You absolutely can do some find AP with that setup although I would probably invest in a focal reducer and some kind of guiding setup. Either the 50D or D90 are capable of producing fine images with, or without modding. I would probably suggest you run for a while before modding to make sure this is something you want to continue with as the mod will all but ruin the camera for any use other than AP.

Allan

higginb

Post by higginb » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:22 pm

Hi Allan,

I have enjoyed your book too. Is the Vixen SXW mount a good choice for AP? How does it compare to the Orion Sirius or Celestron Advanced VX?

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:51 am

Unfortunately I have never met anyone using a Vixen mount so I really could not tell you much. From the little I have heard, due to the software and support, the Vixen mounts are not highly rated for AP. Take that with a grain of salt however since I have never used one.

I would suggest you ask about it over at stargazerslounge.com as you would have a much larger user base to draw from.

Allan

linux

Post by linux » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:54 pm

I'm slowly collecting the equipment I'll need while waiting for my mount to arrive.
What brand(s) do you use for dew control? I see you have velcro heat straps; do you also use a 2 or 4 port controller?

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:29 pm

I use Dew-Not brand, it seems to work well. I am using 4 port controllers on both my setups.

JamesXIII

Post by JamesXIII » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:25 am

First off thank you for your books. I finished Budget Astro and have now been bouncing back and forth between Long Exposure and Messier Reference (mainly used to reference how big objects will appear given the different scope setups). I am a photographer (Canon DSLRs) with an interest into branching into astrophotography with practically no experience with astronomy or telescopes. The goal being shooting some nice lunar shots or an odd planetary or two but mainly deep sky. Budget is certainly a concern but I want to be able to operate beyond the range of budget astrophotography. My idea is to slowly get into astrophotography but with equipment that I would continue to use (perhaps in a different capacity) rather than replace. For instance while the Sky View Pro might be suitable for what I want to do right now I am inclined to go with the Sirius as it would provide the room to expand in the future. My first telescope would probably be an 80mm. I know your books reference the Orion ED80T CF Triplet as a good scope in the class I am looking for but I see on your setups you use an Orion Short Tube 80 Refractor as the guidescope. I am wondering how the Short Tube performs as the primary with astrophotography that I could repurpose as a guide scope in the future.
Hypothetical setup:
Canon T4i (already own)
Necessary T-Rings/adapters
Orion Sirius EQ-G
AC/DC Adapter
LPF
ED80T CF OR Short Tube 80 Refractor

AllanHall
Site Admin

Post by AllanHall » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:32 pm

I do like the short tube 80 but imaging the moon is probably the absolute worst activity you could use that scope for. The amount of color (glowing purple halos around objects) present on nebulae and star clusters is generally manageable as long as you stay away from ones with exceptionally bright stars. The moon however will glow like it is on fire.

There are filters that can help: minus violet and APO filters to name two. Even those can not fix the amount of glow you will get with that scope.

That certainly does not mean you have to spend the money on the carbon 80mm I was talking about. There are many other scopes in that size which have less color than the Orion 80mm and are cheaper than the ED80T CF. If you have a hard time finding some let me know and I will take a look around for you.

Allan